Thursday, September 11, 2014

September Update!

Hi Everyone,

It's been about a month since I last posted to my blog, and today, I feel like writing something new! Last time I wrote, I had just come back from the Oxford Philomusica Piano Festival and Summer Academy, which was (of course) amazing beyond belief! After returning home for a week, I flew to Nebraska with my younger brother, Will, younger half-brother, Kai, and my dad to visit his side of the family. I stayed with my Grandparents while I was there, and we had lots of fun talking, reading, baking cookies, going on walks, relaxing, and enjoying each other's company. On August 10th, I gave a concert at Savannah Pines Retirement Resort. A few days later, I gave a mini-recital at another retirement home called Eastmont Towers. The residents at both places were extremely kind, welcoming, and had a great love and appreciation for music. By the way, if you would like to watch clips from the performances, please click on this YouTube link! :)

We stayed in Nebraska for eight days in total, then I flew back to Boston briefly before leaving with my mom and Will for a vacation in Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica. It was definitely one of the most beautiful places I had ever been to, and there was wildlife everywhere we went - especially monkeys! They were by the pool, on the power lines, on the roof, and atop the lampposts. We also went on a tour of Manuel Antonio National Park, and we were fortunate enough to see a sloth just a few feet in front of us, slowly crossing the dirt trail. Algae was growing on the sloth's back, and the tour guide told us that this was because the sloths often stay in the same position for most of the day! We loved being able to visit the beach whenever we pleased, as well as browse the many unique shops in town and drink fresh coconut water sold by vendors on the street.
Lots of composing inspiration also came to me while in Costa Rica... which leads me to an announcement I've been very excited about making for the past few days:

On Tuesday (September 9), I finished composing my most recent piece of piano music! It is titled Reflections and consists of eight short movements that were each inspired by a different part of my life. The pieces contain lots of symbolism and tell a personal story. However, I won't reveal what that story is, because I would like the performer to use their imagination to create their own while they play the pieces. I've attached the score here (and on my website) so anyone who wants to can play it.

Well, I should probably work on my homework now; I started high school last Wednesday and am enjoying it thus far!

All best,
Anna Larsen
annalarsenmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment